Saturday, April 23, 2016

Time Well Spent

I have learned more than quite a few things from my graduate studies. Some of those things I have already discussed either in my discussion posts or blogs. Two primary things I have talked about in Week 8 Discussion post. There are other things I have learned and appreciated about my Walden graduate experience.

I was in for a surprise when I learned how little I know and how much I love learning. With my personal experiences, I intended to study just to get my Masters. But from the first class to this very class, I have been on a whirlwind of learning. I have developed a professional base of knowledge to match my personal experiences. That’s one of some things I have come to deeply appreciate. I am currently taking a Child Language Acquisition class and learning about how we generally acquire a language. I highly recommend it.

Secondly, I have learned some fundamental principles of Early Childhood that I had not realized before and that I have applied in my advocacy efforts. I learned things and wondered why they were not being utilized with Deaf children ages 0-5. Important stuff like not developing exclusionary policies, research involving the people that it studies, and, most importantly, the essential involvement of the community in early childhood programs.

Finally, it feels good to have a suffix. I am going to pursue my doctorate this fall and looking forward to learning some greater stuff from great Walden teachers.

As I look back on my graduate studies, I remember my colleagues whom I recognize as going through the same stress and experiences as me and my teachers whom I appreciate for their candor and input. I would upload a video but nobody would understand my American Sign Language. Thank you for listening to me every time I stand on my soapbox. It is much appreciated.

We all have lofty goals, and I have no doubt that each one of us will accomplish our Capstone projects. Maybe I will bump into some of you in the doctoral program.

Good luck!



1 comment:

  1. Marla,
    I found your discussions were on my list to look for first. Your thoughts were always insightful and well presented. I give you kudos for jumping right in to the doctorate program and I know you will do well! I personally need a break but if I do go towards the doctorate degree it will be with Walden.
    I wish you much success!!

    ReplyDelete