Friday, March 11, 2016

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

I picked one local, two state, and two national advocacy organization that appealed to me. The reasons why they appealed to me are listed below each organization.

Deaf Community Services of San Diego: http://www.deafcommunityservices.org/
It is a local social services agency for Deaf San Diegans; with new leadership, they have re-focused their priorities to early childhood education, to setting up a youth literacy camp, and Deaf Mentor Program. Those three issues are very dear to me as an advocate.

California Deaf Education Resource Center South: www.cderssouth.org
It provides resources for early intervention, parent education, and assessments through families’ networks, schools, and community.

California Hands & Voices: http://cahandsandvoices.org/index.php/about
It is a statewide nonprofit volunteer organization that supports families making informed decisions about all they need to know about their Deaf children.

Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center: http://www.gallaudet.edu/clerc-center.html
It is a program that is part of Gallaudet University outreach efforts. They provide information and training for parents and professionals working with Deaf and Hard of Hearing children.

Future of Children: http://www.futureofchildren.org/
It is a collaborative effort between Princeton University and Brookings Institution, a research organization. The Future of Children is focused on providing research and analysis to promote effective policies and programs for children.

The last two organizations have a listing of employment opportunities, but none that fits my specialization in advocacy and public policy. I think that each job will require a differing range of skills and experiences. I have experiences and skills, but they are not necessarily the professional kind. My employment history has gaps where I stayed home and worked part-time.


I think I would need a doctoral to achieve what I set out to do.

7 comments:

  1. Marla,
    I have no experience working with deaf or hard of hearing students, but I am interested in the area in which you live. Mu husband is trying to convince me to relocate to a warmer climate in the near future, as winters are becoming difficult for him. It is helpful to see what types of services are available and what types of opportunities I may be able to find should I choose to head west. It is also beneficial to know what steps I need to take in order to meet the requirements.
    Thanks for a helpful post!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Marla, thank you for sharing important useful resources. Your interests of resources are specific and I wish you all the best. I like the "Future of Children" research institude and they also have free online website and blogs with great resources. I just checked the blog and the first blog post that appeared to me titled, "Does marriage Matter to Children?" that is published on March 8 by Garrett Pace(Future of Children, 2016). I would like to read more of the blogs as they have plenty of useful research based articles on various topics about future of children. Thank you Marla.
    Referencehttps://blogs.princeton.edu/futureofchildren/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marla,
    Those all sound like great organizations. Even staying home and working part-time you developed skills needed for jobs. Maybe look into volunteering for an organization to get your name in the door. If you do choose to get your doctoral good luck.

    Jennie Ingram

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your interest in the deaf/hard of hearing field is interesting to me as well. I found my interest after years of waiting tables as a second job in my younger years. In DC there is Galludet, a college for deaf students, and those students are a large part of this area. For a while, I was learning a few signs here and there in order to make waiting tables easier. I enjoyed learning aspects of those students learning process. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marla,
    You picked some great organizations that seem like a great fit for you. I do not have experience working with people who are deaf, but would love the opportunity to learn, especially in the early childhood field. My daughter is a freshman in high school this year and loves to learn sign language. Our school is very small, but in the last year or so have offered ASL as a language course along with Spanish. She is very excited to take this course next year and I am excited to learn right along with her. I think it would be a great opportunity for her and I to work together and for me to learn something that could help me in my work with children. I admire your passion and think some of the organizations you chose make such an impact in communities and in the lives of the people they service. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marla,
    I was amazed by all these information you have found. I used to work with a child who has hearing disability, She was given a surgery in the U.S. when she was two, and now she develop her hearing with the assistance of a microelectronic chip underneath her scalp. The Deaf Community Services, and California Deaf Education Resource Center South will be great helpful for her current teachers to acquire some useful information and particular learning methods for her case. Also I am interested about The Future of Children, The website provides various topics related to the early childhood education for both parents and early childhood educators, and I am appreciated that they share the journals free of charge. The articles Why Marriage Matters for Child Wellbeing and Cohabitation and Child Wellbeing appeal to me as I don’t have any experience of marriage so far. It will helpful for me to understand those challenges children and their parents have from different type of family structures. Thank you for the sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marla,
    I was amazed by all these information you have found. I used to work with a child who has hearing disability, She was given a surgery in the U.S. when she was two, and now she develop her hearing with the assistance of a microelectronic chip underneath her scalp. The Deaf Community Services, and California Deaf Education Resource Center South will be great helpful for her current teachers to acquire some useful information and particular learning methods for her case. Also I am interested about The Future of Children, The website provides various topics related to the early childhood education for both parents and early childhood educators, and I am appreciated that they share the journals free of charge. The articles Why Marriage Matters for Child Wellbeing and Cohabitation and Child Wellbeing appeal to me as I don’t have any experience of marriage so far. It will helpful for me to understand those challenges children and their parents have from different type of family structures. Thank you for the sharing!

    ReplyDelete